Parents Helping Students Organization (PHSO)
The PHSO is a group of parents of PHS students who focus on encouraging, promoting, and, recognizing the efforts and accomplishments of all PHS students. We strive to be a positive presence at PHS and to be a vehicle for parental feedback on all aspects of student life.
PHSO started in 1989 and in 2017 merged with the Parent Advisory Committee (PAC).
The PHSO sponsors and coordinates the following:
- NEW! Student Career Shadowing for Juniors over February break
- Alumni Forum - December
- Student Recognition Night, "The Book Awards” and NHS Celebration - April
- Senior Project Refreshments - Dec and May
- Teacher Appreciation Breakfast - June, last day of school 7am-9am
- Post Senior Prom Committee - June 5th event (begin planning in March)
PHSO has monthly meetings to plan for upcoming PHSO events and to provide a platform to discuss issues affecting the PHS community.
The PHSO Thursday meeting schedule for 2020/21 is as follows.
October 1, 2020
November 5, 2020
December 3, 2020
February 4, 2021
March 4, 2021
April 1, 2021
May 6, 2021
Meetings are held from 7:00 - 8:00 pm in the PHS Library.
We welcome all PHS parents. Please feel free to come to a meeting to listen and/or to become involved as much as you want or are able.
We do not have any fundraisers. We rely on donations only, so any donations are greatly appreciated!
If interested in giving a donation (suggested $10-$20), make check payable to PHSO and mail it to PHSO, P.O. Box 794, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
If you would like to get involved but cannot attend a meeting, please send us a note (same address as above) and include the following information:
- Email address
- Student(s) name(s) and Year of Graduation(s)
- Please list any issues or topics you would like discussed during a PHSO meeting and/or indicate any of the activities you would like to volunteer for, from the list above.
We also invite some speakers at meetings and would like some input from parents as to what topics they may want information about.