Our Mission Statement
The Mission of the Portsmouth Middle School Counseling Program is to provide assistance, in all aspects of academic, career and social/emotional growth, to students and families who participate in our learning community in order to grow each student, to the best of his or her ability, into a respectful, responsible and productive citizen.
Student Support Specialist
Rebecca Caron (Grades Five and Six )
Francesca Faria (Grades Seven and Eight)
Please contact the main office upon requesting a parent conference with a team of teachers at
401-849-3700 ext. 3609.
The Guidance Counselor’s role at Portsmouth Middle School is to assist students in their development both academically and socially and are available to:
- Have contact with students, parents, teachers and administrators.
- Liaison for Evaluation Team Meetings, IEPs , 504s and various other meetings.
- Coordinate Career Days for various grades.
- Coordinate After School and Career exploration activities.
- Assist with standardized testing and provide make-up sessions.
- Monitor students’ grades, test scores and review scores for awards.
- Transition students from the Middle School to High School and from Elementary to the Middle School and orient new students to PMS.
- Review quarterly grades.
- Provide individual counseling on a short term basis.
- Write student referrals and recommendations.
Seven Ways to Help Your Child Have a Great School Year
1. Create and Afterschool Routine
2. Keep a Family Calendar
3. Focus on Friendship
4. Look for Quality Activities
5. Spend Some Time at School
6. Create Two-Way Communication
7. Read All Information the School Sends Home
8. Read the Handbook with Your Fhild and Discuss its Importance
9. Become Familiar with School Professional Staff
10. Develop Healthy Habits-physical health, proper nurtrition and enough sleep
11. Enjoy Yourself and Your Child's Middle School Years-They Go By Fast
1. Pay Attention in Class
2. Take Good Notes
3. Keep an Organized Notebook
for Each Subject
4. Know the Purpose of
5. Ask Questions in Class
REVIEW! REVIEW! REVIEW!
It Can Help You Retain 80%
of the Information.
6. Plan a Definite Time and Place
for Studying Each Day
7. Study for Awhile and Take
8. Don't Cram for Hours the Night
Before a Test.
Study a Little Bit Each Day